Re: just a little Opie status...

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 06:27:37PM -0700, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:

> So unless I completely missunderstood Chris this should work.  We'll have a
> libqpe1, a libqpe1-sharp, and a libqpe1-ipaq.

Sounds good.

> Now...what we may need to do is create some meta packages.  one for ipaq
> and one for sharp that will depend on the proper packages to make up the
> base system.

I had been thinking that it would also be a good idea to provide both X11
and framebuffer environments, since there almost certainly won't be room for
both in the base image.  I assume that opie needs to be built differently
for X11 and Qt/e, though I haven't looked at this at all really.  I have an
xfree86-tinyx deb (in unstable) which runs X on the framebuffer and supports
the Zaurus touchscreen, using a daemon which translates the Zaurus
touchscreen events into equivalent iPAQ touchscreen events (which
xfree86-tinyx supports).  It's a little rough, but does work.  Eventually,
it would be nice for xfree86-tinyx to support the Zaurus touchscreen
natively and get rid of the daemon hack.

Ideally, we would be able to support configurations like:

- opie on qt/e
- opie on x11
- traditional x11 with matchbox and a menu of some sort

This might be a little ambitious for the first cut of the packages, if it's
nontrivial, but it's something to keep in mind.

--
 - mdz