Re: dump1090 in Debian

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 11:03:27AM -0400, Matthew Ernisse wrote:
> Done, my username is mernisse-guest.

I've added you to the team, so you will now have access to create a git
repository and import your work.

> I opted for the DFSG repack.  The blob comes from the PlanePlotter folks
> and is completely proprietary.

This sounds good.

> So this is becoming a headache.  I patched dump1090 to enable locally-hosting
> jQuery but it opens the sockets with O_NONBLOCK and has a very primitive loop
> for handling all network traffic.  Sometimes when transmitting jQuery send(2)
> throws back EWOULDBLOCK and drops the connection.  I'm not 100% sure what the
> 'right' fix is here.  I'm tempted to split the web UI out into a separate
> package and just drop it in as a site for lighttpd/apache.  I'd welcome some
> thoughts on that.

If it's running the web interface locally, can you just do a link to
"file:///usr/share/javascript/jquery-ui/jquery-ui.min.js" and not even
bother serving it over HTTP? It is an interesting problem though.

If it needs to be over HTTP, you could try asking in #debian-mentors on
irc.debian.org. I've not had this problem myself, but someone will have, and
there should be a way of dealing with it.

> I've deleted the watch file for now.  I have asked upstream about tagging
> releases but have yet to hear back.

As long as the watch file is gone, it won't be throwing up errors. They're
not mandatory for the package, but it is useful to be able to know when new
releases happen automatically.

> > Control file - Is the dependency on dpkg-dev really needed?
> I had it becuase lintian(8) throws a warning during debuild about it, but
> as far as I can tell it isn't *actually* needed.

So I've just checked, and debhelper does depend on dpkg-dev, so it's not
needed as far as I can see.

> That's good news.  The new version of the package is up on mentors.d.n and
> tagged in github.com/mernisse/dump1090.  I'll move it over to the hamradio git
> once I have access.

I'm busy tonight, but I'll take a look at the package tomorrow and let you
know if I have any comments.

Thanks,
Iain.

--