Re: Soundcard packet and permissions

p jay wrote:

>On Sunday 08 January 2006 12:10, Ray Wells wrote:
>

>>vk4akm wrote:
>>

>>>G'day
>>>I am new to Linux and this might be the wrong forum for this query, if
>>>it is please tell me.
>>>
>>>I have been fighting with Linux (now Debian 3.1) and soundcardmodem
>>>packet applications for some time and have eventually managed to
>>>decode some packets using the "listen" command.
>>>However the only way I can do this is as a superuser.
>>>Any attempt to link a terminal program like LinPac or TNOS will not work.
>>>I have found that all the "/usr/" directories and files are either
>>>owned by or in the group owned by "root" so I assume as a user I am
>>>not allowed access.
>>>As soundmodem resides in /usr/sbin/ any script I write as a user will
>>>not start it.
>>>To my limited understanding of Linux for me to link  "root" to start
>>>"soundmodem" would defeat the whole purpose of the superuser level.
>>>I can only think that I must have installed Debian incorrectly
>>>(although I mostly followed the automatic installation procedure).
>>>
>>>Generally packages like gmfsk etc have worked with little effort after
>>>downloading and installing with the Synaptic Package manager, so
>>>something must be right.
>>>
>>>Any help would be appreciated.
>>>
>>>regards
>>>Ken
>>>vk4akm
>>>

>>G'day Ken,
>>
>>Change permissions on listen to 4755.
>>
>>Do "chmod 4755 listen" (no " ") and that will sort it out.
>>Re: Soundcard packet and permissions
>>Ray, VK2TV
>>

>Why?
>

>Would you like to explain your question?

Yes:  I want you to explain what your response does and why it was required by this user.

"The technoguru gene is occasionally omitted during some reproductive cycles."
--me tonight

--

Wishing you well.

Jaye Inabnit, ke6sls   (A fortunate GNU/Linux user)
Questions, especially really dumb questions, can reveal the oblivious.
Free software isn't about money, it's about freedom. Please Support GNU!