Re: xastir question... suid root?

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 08:27:24PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 11:02:23PM -0700, Grant Bowman wrote:
> > I'm an xastir, packet and APRS newbie.  I just installed xastir 1.1.  A
> > few quick questions.  Should the files in /usr/share/xastir really be
> > owned by root.root?  How can a regular user use the auto-mapping
> > features like this?
> >
> > An example: I chose Maps...Locate Map Feature... and typed in my home
> > town name.  It came back with errors.

> If the auto-mapping feature needs to write into /usr/share/xastir,
> it's buggy, so please file a bug report. The only places it could
> write are /var (it would need special permissions, and this could
> be a security hole), and $HOME.

Should Xastir not be suid root anyway if the soundmodem driver is to
be used? I guess this is a much more serious problem. Do you know any
way to circumvent it? I do have to use the soundcard as for the moment
I have nothing better (I'm also a newbie at packet/APRS).

Thanks,

--
               ,        ,
              /(        )`
              \ \___   / |
              /- _  `-/  '
             (/\/ \ \   /\
             / /   | `    \
             O O   ) /    |       Galí Drudis i Solé
             `-^--'`<     '       gali@klingon.uab.es
            (_.)  _  )   /
             `.___/`    /          Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
               `-----' /           Unitat de Química Física
  <----.     __ / __   \           Lab: C7/157
  <----'    `--' `.__,' \          Fax: +34 93-581.29.20
                \       /