Re: What shall we call it?

* Joop Stakenborg <pa3aba@debian.org> [2002 Apr 25 16:35 -0500]:
> On Thursday 25 April 2002 16:07, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> >
> > How about mentioning Debian in the name?
> >

> Personally, I would like to see a more neutral name, which is distribution
> independent, so people won't say: "It is a debian distribution, so I won't
> use it (because I only want to use suse/redhat/mandrake or whatever)".

Interesting take, Joop.

Following these threads, my understanding of the goal is a slim Debian
distro with the necessary packages to support CX, etc.  In my mind's eye
I see it as a snapshot of a base Debian install burned to CD.  To not
give Debian at least some name recognition seems a grave oversight.

> Okay, that's sensible. However, it might start of as a contest-only
> distribution. We can add packages lateron.

Thinking about the snapshot idea above, this idea began running around
in my head.  With a functional image on CD, it would be a small step to
create a simple installer that basically copies the contents of the CD
into a partition on the users hard drive.  Then dselect, apt-get, and
friends could be used to update the "lite" image into a full-blown
Debian install.  This seems like a rather easy and seemless way for
anyone to move up from the CD to a "normal" installation.

Now as for a name, well a couple of ideas fell out here.

QHD -- QRZ Ham Debian

QDH -- QRZ Debian Ham

I dunno, they sounded neat at the time...

73, de Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | sleeping giant and