Contest mini distro?

On Friday 19 April 2002 09:49, Peter Lemken wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 3CBEED46.9070207@grizzy.com> you wrote:
> > Linux need a good system for generating CW for logging and contests.
>
> And a good system for logging in general. Logging for everyday DXing and
> ragchewing is the only reason I still have WINE on my system (for "Logger"
> by Robert Furzer).
>
> BTW, with all the problems CT and other contest loggers have with real time
> keying under Win2k, a small Linux system for contests would make many
> amateurs and contesters in particular consider Linux as an alternative for
> their ham activities. After all, who wants to carry along a high-end
> computer just for contest logging?

Wouldn't it be nice to create a mini distribution specifically for contests?

It would need the following:

Debian based.
Console based (no X).
Small precompiled kernel (2.0 kernel would do) which can run on a 386.
Contest software (we should check out CX and tlf)
Packet radio and TCP/IP support.
Small disk usage, e.g. 50 MB.

Nicest way would be a bootable CD and logs stored somewhere on the network.

> Peter Lemken
> DF5JT
> Berlin

Joop PA4TU