help compiling xastir

Hi there,

We have a "potato" (stable) installation (with a 2.0 kernel) and I'd like to
try xastir.

I know that if we upgraded the whole system to testing or unstable I could use
the packaged version.

I have tried both 0.3.6a and 1.0.0 tarballs off the 'net but cannot get them
to compile, mostly due to unresolved references etc.

I have loaded a few "lesstif" packages (how many do I need?) to no avail
although the last error I got seemed to suggest something motif-like was
missing with the 1.0.0 version.  With the 0.3.6a version my problem is the
lack of libax25 (I am still using a 2.0 kernel) despite commenting out
"NEWAX25" in the Makefile as per instructions.

Is there any way I can build xastir for "stable" debian linux?
Thanks in advance,
Steve Platt g4wsz