Re: abiword-common conflicts

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Matt Brubeck wrote:

> From: Matt Brubeck <mbrubeck@cs.hmc.edu>
> Subject: Re: abiword-common conflicts
>
> On Feb 26, Johannes Rohr wrote:
>
> > While Gnumeric is quite mature and stable, almost a drop-in
> > replacement for M$ Excel, the current version of AbiWord in Sid is
> > still heavily broken. It heavily violates the FHS (Binaries in
> > /usr/share) and it is _very_ unstable, doesn't have Gnome compliant
> > XML-documentation, the bonobo component is broken etc.
>
> In addition, the version of Abiword in sid is no longer integrated with
> GNOME.  Most GNOME integration has been dropped in the gtk2 Abiword.
>
> This affects users in large ways (Abiword does not register filetypes
> and so its files won't open from Nautilus) and small ways (Abiword
> documents no longer appear in the gnome-panel "Recent Items" menu).
>
> I don't mean to speak poorly of Abiword, but in terms of the Debian

I don't intend to speak poorly of your judgement, but if you actually
knew what you are talking about you would know these arguments are to-
tally bogus.
But then again, I don't suppose you bothered to join #abiword on gimp-
net and actually talk to the developers, otherwise you would have known
that inclusion of eggtoolbar/menu, recent items and reintegration of
gnome-print are planned as features for current abiword, as well as fix-
ing of the bonobo control. Neither would you have known that one of the
actual reasons why gnome support was dropped in the first place is be-
cause gtk+ 2 provides a lot of the features which gnome 1.4 was neces-
sary for, like stock icons.
And in terms of debian, you ARE using unstable, in which the version of
abiword is -cvs. Which should have given you a clue too.
</cluebat>

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

                 UNIX isn't dead - It just smells funny