Re: Gnome2 for woody

Le Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 09:18:56PM +0200, Julien Portalier écrivait:
> I do not see any real problem that would need to continue leaving gnome2
> lost in experimental. Why not having both versions in unstable ?

Because it's unnecessary work, and because it's an unneeded pain for most
applications.

People who choose Gnome 1.4 won't be happy when Gnumeric will be
compiled with Gnome 2 libs ... and so on. So, the only realistic way to
go is to switch to Gnome 2 without keeping Gnome 1.4 which will stay
in woody of course ... of course, old libs from Gnome 1.4 will stay for
a while because not all apps are ported to GTK2/Gnome2, but that's not a
big problem.

The real problem behind all this annoying thread is that we have too
many end-users who are using "testing" without knowing what it really
is. So people fear to send new packages in unstable because they will
end in testing ... we really need to have a "candidate" release that is
not automatically populated with packages of unstable so that we can
safely prepare a major upgrade like this one in unstable before putting
the packages in the distribution intended for release.

I know this for quite some time ... i'm just waiting aj's forthcoming
mail on debian-devel (about "what went wrong for woody, what we can do better
for sarge") to bring back the idea and find people to implement it. :-)

Cheers,