Re: i18n

On Mon, May 31, 1999 at 09:46:25PM +0200, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> On Mon, May 31, 1999 at 03:34:45AM +0100, Steve Haslam wrote:
> > Do other programs using gettext for i18n work OK?
>
> I did not use the LANG=german setting before - I prefer english menus. But
> when I tried it I got the same result.
>
> I would like to give you net access to this machine but sadly it is connected
> with an expensive dialup link :((
>
> If I can help debugging this I would be glad to help out.

Here is something for people having this problem to try... I'm
attaching test_i18n.c, a simplistic i18n test program.

You should be able to compile it without any additional C flags or
libraries. And I get this result from it:

bash$ LANG=de ./test_i18n
msgid: White on black
msgstr: Weiß auf schwarz
msgid: Reset and _Clear
msgstr: Reset and _Clear

So, what do other people get? Can anyone get this program to misbehave?

If you can, then there is simply something wrong in the i18n
library. (Big trouble). But I bet it works, and something is going
wrong along the line in the GNOME libraries.

What about gnome-hello-2-i18n ?

SRH
--
Steve Haslam               Debian GNU/Linux               araqnid@debian.org
orbit, gnome-libs, gnome-core, gnome-control-center, gdm, p3nfs,

#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <libintl.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
  const char *domain = "gnome-core";
  int i;

  bindtextdomain (domain, GNOMELOCALEDIR);
  textdomain (domain);

  for (i=1; i<argc; i++) {
    const char *id = argv[i];
    printf("msgid: %s\nmsgstr: %s\n", id, gettext(id));
  }

  exit(0);
}

/*
  Local Variables:
  compile-command: "gcc test_i18n.c -o test_i18n"
*/