Re: RFS: ffcvt version 1.5.03

On Monday, 30 December 2019 3:32:36 PM AEDT Tong Sun wrote:
> So, hopefully I can leave the "config.go" as is, *for now*. OK?

You may know specifics of this very package better but I disagree because re-
building all generated files is required for build integrity and for best
practice. There is nothing to loose if "go generate" does not break the build
and maybe something to gain in case of changes that have potential to modify
the generated files - even if such change is in the golang istelf or within
the very library.

If suddenly "go generate" stops to work then it will serve as an important
indicator of breaking changes that you should know about.

Re-building all pre-generated files is an important guarantee of DFSG
compliance since all pre-built files must be possible to re-build from
source.

I therefore insist that all pre-built files must be re-built from source
whenever possible. I can not recognise "we don't have to" and "I'd rather
not" reasons as legitimate excuses. :)

I hope it makes sense.

--
Best wishes,
 Dmitry Smirnov.

---

Truth — Something somehow discreditable to someone.
        -- H. L. Mencken, 1949