Re: Your Request to join the Debian GIS Project group

On 06/29/2018 01:02 PM, Gianfranco Costamagna wrote:
>> I've added you to the team with Guest privileges, because we have no
>> context what you'd like to contribute to the team.
>
> I usually do the gdal transitions in Ubuntu, and usually I have some fixes to bring to
> Debian too, e.g. this one

gdal is one of the most important package in the GIS ecosystem,
packaging changes should be discussed before committing them to master.

If your changes are limited to the release specific ubuntu branches, you
have more leeway. But that doesn't really help you with the packaging
that Ubuntu syncs from Debian.

> commit 4257b5032e5601896ebffd7ce2cc4403cd472461 (HEAD -> master)
> Author: Gianfranco Costamagna <costamagnagianfranco@yahoo.it>
> Date:   Fri Jun 29 12:56:03 2018 +0200
>
> Revert "Disable PIE on Ubuntu where it's still problematic."
>
> This reverts commit 0a0cfc523025b838217a79761e49ea31e7bca4c8.

The gdal package is backported to the older LTS releases in the
UbuntuGIS PPA, and revering this change will break gdal on xenial and
earlier.

The conditional should be improved to enable PIE on cosmic and later.
Ideally the version of gcc that has the PIE fixes is checked, but I
haven't found out which version that is.

> I don't care about uploading in Debian right now, I would like however to do a git push, so
> I don't forget next time we sync the package in Ubuntu

We need to work out a workflow that keeps the package working for older
Ubuntu releases to not break the package in the UbuntuGIS PPA.

I've elevated your permissions to Developer so you can push, but please
don't push to PIE commit before we have a solution that works for the
UbuntuGIS PPA too.

Kind Regards,

Bas