Debian GIS includes key packages

After discussing testing autoremovals at work today, where I mentioned
that the most popular package I help maintain (proj) is installed on
only 11000-12000 systems, I just checked the percentage of systems that
results in. It turns out to be much higher than I expected, proj-data is
installed on slightly more than 5% of systems submitting popcon data,
which is the threshold to be considered a key package. Key packages are
exempt from automatic removal from testing because of their popularity.

Checking the list of key packages [0] with dd-list, shows that we
maintain a couple more key packages:

 freexl
 hdf5
 jts
 libhdf4
 netcdf
 ogdi-dfsg
 proj
 shapelib

I'm pleasantly surprised to see GIS packages among the key packages,
which was contrary to my expectations. I'm looking forward to the day
that gdal is among the key packages too.

[0] https://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/key_packages.cgi

Kind Regards,

Bas

--