Re: GDAL 2.0.0 (dropping symbol version script)

On 14-06-15 23:33, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> One of the major changes to the Debian packaging for GDAL 2.0.0 is the
> switch to the system libtiff & libgeotiff instead of the internal copies
> in GDAL. The system libtiff & libgeotiff have the required BigTIFF
> support now.

GDAL 2.0 is a very good opportunity to make more significant changes
like the switch away from the internal lib(geo)tiff copies.

In that context, I'm considering dropping the custom symbol versioning
(using debian/gdal.ver & debian/patches/symver). The symbol version
script was intended to be used for custom library versioning by the
Debian package maintainers as documented in the README.source. But this
was not actually done for the subsequent GDAL 1.9, 1.10 & 1.11 releases.

Since we're not actually using the symbol version script for its
intended purpose, we should drop it and switch back to @Base symbols
instead of @GDAL_1.8.

Instead of the complexity of maintaining the symbol version script
(which should happen upstream, not (only) in Debian), we now use the
virtual ABI package to handle the incompatibility between (patch) releases.

Please speak up if you think dropping the symbol version script is a bad
idea.

The GDAL 1.11.3 and 2.0.1 releases are expected soon, the first RCs were
released a few days ago. Since a transition is required for any new
upstream release, we'll keep GDAL 1.11.3 in experimental for the time
being until we can decide whether to start a transition to 1.11.3 or
2.0.1 in case all reverse dependencies also work with GDAL 2.0 (this
still needs to be tested).

Kind Regards,

Bas

--