Re: [DebianGIS] Debian Lenny - mapserver version

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 5:25 AM, Ivan Mincik <ivan.mincik@gista.sk> wrote:

> I would like to clarify the process of maintaining the mapserver package in Debian. Mapserver package is frozen in Lenny at version  5.0.3-3.
> There where lot of bug fixes done when reaching 5.2 version. So my question is: Is it really possible to backport all these fixes to Lenny's package ?

Probably not.

> Or, how it will be decided that some patch will be included to frozen/stable distribution?

The release team regularly posts their migration policy during the
freeze to debian-devel-announce:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/09/msg00000.html

Once lenny is out and mapserver 5.2 has reached squeeze (the new
testing), then it can be built against lenny and uploaded to
lenny-backports at backports.org.

"stable" in the context of Debian means unchanging (except for
security updates and other RC issues), not rock-solid.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise