Re: [DebianGIS] libgdal renaming

On 1/7/06, Silke Reimer <Silke.Reimer@intevation.de> wrote:
> I would vote to stick to our decission about the package name but adapt
> the soname of libgdal to have an minor and subversion, so that the full
> soname is 1.3.1 instead of 1. This will have the advantage that there
> isn't any need to rebuild qgis or other package just because a new gdal
> version is present since its concurrent installation on the same system
> is possible.
>
> It requires though that Frank changes the soname each time he releases a
> new gdal version - which isn't too difficult I think. So we need some
> feedback from you, Frank.

Silke,

I am not adverse to the soname changing for each version
on Debian, but I think that should be a debian specific
patch, not something done upstream.

For my purposes (in the general context) the soname and
versioning are about the C API, not the C++ API, and that
is why I don't want to change this upstream.   I do realize that
for the sake of proper version selection re: MapServer and QGIS
you need distinct libraries as the C++ ABI alters but I don't
wish to do that in general for GDAL.

Best regards,
I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam@pobox.com