Re: Taking patches in gcc-x.y to gcc-x.y-doc

On 20.10.2012 08:56, Guo Yixuan wrote:
> Hello Matthias and Debian GCC Maintainers,
>
> I'm preparing gcc's document packages for Debian, and have some questions
> about patches. Because the documentation lives in a separate package from
> gcc-x.y, I need to pick patches from gcc-x.y that are related to .texinfo
> and some other files, and apply then in gcc-doc-x.y package.
>
> I've looked into gcc-4.[467]'s debian/ directory and know the patch/unpatch
> process is handled by debian/rules.patch. It's quite complex and the actual
> patch series differ between different archs. I want to know clearly which
> patch to take, to keep gcc-x.y-doc accurate, so I seek confirmation/answer
> to these doubts.
>
> 1. Does $(debian_patches) contains all the patches that are applied in a
> specific build? I know $(hardening_patches) is only for Ubuntu, but what
> are $(spu_patches) and $(no_spu_patches) for? 2. $(GFDL_INVARIANT_FREE) is
> "yes", and most (or maybe all) document patches seem to be under condition
> ifneq ($(GFDL_INVARIANT_FREE),yes) in rules.patch. 3. $(with_linaro_branch)
> seems to be always empty for Debian. (But for gcc-4.4 on armhf, it's
> "yes".) 4. As there're some arch-dependent doc patches, while gcc-x.y-doc
> had better to be arch-indep, some patches need some modification, such as
> this (changed by me, to make alpha-ieee-doc.diff suitable for arch-indep
> document):

run debian/rules patch and look at the generated series file. spu patches are
applied for powerpc only, so have a look at the doc patches if it makes sense
to apply them.

we may use the Linaro branch for arm64 in gcc-4.7, but this is will be for
jessie only.

> Index: gcc-doc/gcc/doc/invoke.texi
> =================================================================== ---
> gcc-doc.orig/gcc/doc/invoke.texi +++ gcc-doc/gcc/doc/invoke.texi @@
> -11263,7 +11263,7 @@ values such as not-a-number and plus/minus infinity.
> Other Alpha compilers call this option @option{-ieee_with_no_inexact}.
>
> -DEBIAN SPECIFIC: This option is on by default, unless +DEBIAN SPECIFIC:
> (only for alpha architecture) This option is on by default, unless
> @option{-ffinite-math-only} (which is part of the @option{-ffast-math} set)
> is specified, because the software functions in the GNU libc math libraries
> generate denormalized numbers, NaNs, and infs (all of which

I'll update this.

  Matthias