RE: Firewall with dynamic IP

At 10:01 AM 8/11/00 -0500, Brooks R. Robinson wrote:
>This works fairly well, my own personal concern was: will the box get a
>dynamic ip address through my DHCP client from my cable modem through the
>firewall if the ip address changes?
>
>I haven't run into this problem yet, and I'm not familiar enough with the
>DHCP protocol to say for sure.

Depends on the content of the firewall rules. Are you blocking or accepting
the DHCP ports? The off-the-shelf, minimalist firewall produced by the
ipmasq.*.deb package seems to handle this situation just fine ... that's the
only one I've tested in a dynamic-addressing setting.

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray@comarre.com