Re: Obtaining and installing...

On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 09:53:32 +0100
Neil Stone <neil@flashtek-uk.com> wrote:

> It seems the documentation is somewhat broken..

Documentation can always be improved but we need some idea of which
bits need fixing and which areas are causing misinterpretations.

> do I presume that I
> use a normal Debian install media and point it at emdebian.org at the
> right moment or is there some other method ?

That is one option, yes - for devices that can run the normal Debian
installer, typically something that can boot from removable media and
can (at least initially) use a standard, vanilla, Debian kernel.

Other installation methods are outlined on the Grip installation page:

http://www.emdebian.org/grip/

The problem with documenting this in detail is that once you get away
from being able to use the Debian Installer, things get very
complicated quite quickly. It is highly device specific.

e.g. One other installation method is to create a complete root
filesystem using multistrap to provide the core packages and adding
further customisation. At such times, a Grip installation can be a part
of whatever is the normal installation method for that device.

> Either way I have a bit of a challenge as I want to use this on a
> TS-7550 ARM based SBC, its only IO is via USB ports (2 of) or eth0.

It depends more on how the device currently boots.

> I have a way to get standard Debian on to these systems, but I would
> prefer to save the space and get to emdebian.. is that do-able ?

Yes.

Also, if there is a different way of installing which could be less
hassle than using the Debian Installer (DI), Grip could fit into that
method too.

> if
> yes, can anyone point me at a HOWTO (change sources.list and run
> dist-upgrade ??) ?

There are issues with the Debian Installer for Lenny which we hope to
fix for Squeeze but, yes, complete the install, boot the device, change
the sources list, apt-get update, apt-get install grip-config, apt-get
dist-upgrade.

That middle step (installing our own little helper package) gets over a
few hurdles which *have* been fixed for Squeeze.

Grip is at version 1.0 with Lenny and there are rough edges.

If there are things you'd like to see in the docs, feel free to use the
Debian Wiki: http://wiki.debian.org/Embedded_Debian

--

Neil Williams