Re: Hopeful get Emdebian on i386 working! with a little help!! please

Neil Williams wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 22:43:22 +0000
Tim Massey <tim@temsc.co.uk> wrote:

Please don't send HTML messages.

I can't follow your thread.

Emdebian needs to be built inside Debian. Create the Debian environment
and then install emdebian-tools into that environment, get the package
source into the environment and work in there.

Once built, Emdebian packages are then installed to give you an
Emdebian environment that has *no* package building support. (Otherwise
you'd simply install Debian on the device and build what you need on
the device itself.)
Ok this confuses me a little what are you saying install debain, then
apt-get emdedian-tools then apt-get source xyz.
Create a Debian chroot for unstable.
chroot into that environment
install emdebian-tools
emsource
build.
From this list above it seems that you have a Debian chroot for
unstable which is effectively a working copy of Debian then you replace packages one by one with emdebian-tools via emsource and "build" by build I guess you mean *emdebuild or do you mean *./configure make make install*
*

This is where is get a little confused how has the debian packge become a emdebian package?

? That doesn't make any sense to me. An Emdebian package is just a
modified Debian one.
I understand that all emdebian packages are derived from debian packages but what I don't understand how the that magic happen because currently it seems to be magic to get the debain package to an emdebain package, I am sure its not and I have just completely miss the use of a tool or the point where I have to edit the make files then just use make install for example

To install a standard package from source
$ wget http://source.org/example.tar.gz
$ tar zxvf example.tar.gz
$ cd example
$./configure
$ make
$ make install

How does building a emdebain package differ these are the 6 standard steps to install anything from source

What is the simplified chain of events?
install debain sid

in a chroot.

apt-get emdedian-tools and everything I am going to apt-get source

If you want the emdebian patch files, you use emsource to get the
source and apply the patches.

apt-get source xyz
I GUESS THIS IS THE BIT I AM MISSING ??

Edit the files!??! Make your changes here just as you would in any
package.
By edit the files do you mean such things like adding CFLAGS = -O2 for optimizations etc stripping docs out??

I guess what I am saying is, I guessed that there would be a procedure to follow for a package to become emdebianized but I seems not or am I wrong??

for example I could get apt build it with some optimization strip the docs out then it would be a emdebian app??

em_make makes an Emdebian package from a Debian source tree
AND THIS BIT I AM MISSING ??

.emdebuild ? The dot isn't needed - typo?

Anyways, you need to install the build dependencies - within the chroot
- before building. Unless you want to use emdebuild (for
the ../$package.old/ support), use debuild or similar here.
Ok I think this makes sence I would use em_make then .emdebuild

A. because it breaks the flow of the answer.
Q. Why is top posting bad?

Please start your reply within the message, not at the top of the new
email.

And stop sending HTML. Please.

--

*Tim Massey, Technical Services*

The t.e.m. Service Company Ltd, 2 Cannon Heath Farm Cottage, Cannon Heath, Overton, Basingstoke, Hampshire, RG25 3EJ

Email: tim@temsc.co.uk, UK Tel: 0845 890 0211 USA Tel: 213 232 4114

Instant Messaging Screenames

Skype: timm_tem MSN: tim@temservicecompany.co.uk

Company Number: 4635329, VAT Number: 811 8592 26

This email is confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately. You should not copy the email or use it for any purpose or disclose its contents to any other person.

Any statements made, or intentions expressed in this communication may not necessarily reflect the view of the Company. Be advised that no content herein may be held binding upon the Company or any associated company unless confirmed by the issuance of a formal contractual document.