Re: Building cross armel toolchain

On 2007-03-04 16:31 +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 00:45:47 +0000
> Wookey <wookey@aleph1.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > b) install cross linux-kernel-headers_2.6.18-6 glibc6 glibc6-dev (with dpkg-cross/apt-cross) from Lennert's ADS repository.
> > This required a bit of hand-tending, because apt-cross 'download, cross and install'
> > and dpkg-cross 'build and install in one go' gave me whinges (I haven't investigated quite why).
>
> What kind of whinges?

> Could it be the bug that Hector asked me to fix at Fosdem where the
> --arch specified to apt-cross wasn't being passed down to dpkg-cross?
> That's fixed in the version of apt-cross in the Emdebian toolchain
> repository (0.0.7).

It might well be. I wasn't using 0.0.7. I intend to retest with that
version before bugreporting properly if it remains. I was deliberately
vague because this was not inteded to be a discussion about
apt-cross, but about the more fundamental level cross-arch toolchain
machinery.

> > echo armel > debian/target
> > DEB_CROSS_INDEPENDENT=yes dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -B -rfakeroot
>
> emchain uses:
> GCC_TARGET=$arch DEB_CROSS_INDEPENDENT=yes debian/rules control
> GCC_TARGET=$arch DEB_CROSS_INDEPENDENT=yes dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc -us
> -rfakeroot
>
> > which goes OK building a load of stuff until it tries to link with glibc, when we get:
> > /usr/arm-linux-gnueabi/lib/libc.so.6: file not recognized: File format not recognized
> >

> /usr/arm-linux-gnueabi/ ? shouldn't that be /usr/armel-linux-gnu/ ?

No. See discussions passim about arch names. The dir for this stuff is:
$(CROSSBASE)/$(DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE) - i.e. GNU type not some combo of
debian arch name and gnu name, which is what armel-linux-gnu would be.

So it's looking in the right place and finding the right files, so far
as I can see, but then not liking what it finds.

> Have you tried using emchain after manually setting the
> ~/.dpkg-cross/cross-compile file to specify the new armel architecture?
> emchain doesn't care *what* string is put in default_arch, as long as
> dpkg-cross can handle it. I'll add a note to the manpage to the effect
> that the list presented by debconf is just the most common /
> predictable options.

No, because the upstream sources do not have all the patches I need,
and so far as I could see emchain would always download upstream
sources, not use some sources provided for it in an arbitrary place.
If it could do that I would have given it a go.

Wookey
--
Principle hats:  Balloonz - Toby Churchill - Aleph One  - Debian
http://wookware.org/

believed to be clean.