Re: Debian on embedded...

Citeren Justin Cormack <justin@street-vision.com>:

> On Sat, 2004-05-08 at 08:59, rvt@dds.nl wrote:
> > Dear Debian Embedded guru's,
> >
> > I have been playing around a lot to get my debian running on my semi
> embedded
> > system. One thing that keeps failing is that I receive errors from my
> solid-
> > state harddrive and I only receive write errors. But installing the
> operating
> > system is no problem (no write errors at all).
> >
> > I have tried a 2.2.x and 2.4.16,18 kernels (from debian 3.0 R2)and
> currently I
> > run a 2.4.26 kernel (from backports).
> >
> > I use the 2.4.26 kernel because I need USB and framebuffer and can't easely
>
> > compile a kernel on that system (and don't have enough knowdledge to copy a
>
> > compiled kernel to that system.... unless I really have to ofcourse) but I
> was
> > hoping to run it on stock debian kernels.
> >
> > Now my next step is to install debian and setup it completely readonly and
> only
> > do some datawriting to a connected USB plug.
> >
> > This system is a 128Mb crusoe based system with a 600Mb solid-state
> harddrive.
> >
> > The application I have develop is a qt-embedded application runs on that
> system
> > now but the write errors.
> >
> > can anybody sched me some light and point me to a few how-tos and
> websides???
>
> It doesnt really sound like a debian problem or even probably a kernel
> problem. What exactly is the solid state device, and what are the write
> errors

Hey Justin,
the error I receive is:

   no DRQ after issuing WRITE
   ide0 reset: success

And after a few minutes to a few hours or when the system is under higher load.
(copying large files is enough) I get that error.
My kernel where all i386 kernels, currently I try a 2.4.26 kernel epcially for
the crusoe processor. It might be so that the frequency (longrun system) is not
set correctly so I'll try that first.....

Ries

<"Windows is not the answer!
  Windows is the question and the answer is NO!">