Re: New In town

On Tue Mar 04, 2003 at 11:48:45AM +0000, Wookey wrote:
> Erik Andersen is the debian man who knows all about uclinux - I don't know
> if he's signed up here yet.

I have indeed joined.  I just didn't have anything to say.  :)

> if he's signed up here yet. He has a fine set of build makefiles for
> uclinux-friendly toolchains:
> http://uclibc.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/toolchain/
>
> None of this stuff is in debian yet but I'm working on binutils-arm and
> gcc-arm packages based on toolchain-source. I'm not yet sure if a single
> tollchain can be made to be good for both uclinux and 'normal' use so we
> might need a separate optimised toolchain for that. I'll post more on this
> soon.

It actually is _very_ possible to use the same toolchain for both
uClinux and for normal Linux systems.  The default file format
for uClinux is a FLAT file (as opposed to the ELF format used for
standard Linux systems).  When you build the toolchains that are
linked to above, the default file format is ELF.  You have to add
an additional option to gcc (-Wl,-elf2flt) or the linker
(-elf2flt) in order to convert the output file into FLAT format.
So yes, you can have just one toolchain that does it all.

> variation for developers. At the moment I assume anyone who needs this
> stuff builds everything they need from scratch against uclibc with
> approriate options/toolchain? Is there an easier way?

Many people doing coldfire use uClinux-dist either by grabbing the
stupendously huge tarballs from
    http://www.uclinux.org/pub/uClinux/dist/

or by grabbing things from CVS:
    http://cvs.uclinux.org/

There is plenty of useful uClinux information available on:
    http://www.ucdot.org/

 -Erik