Re: pdf-tools bug? Warning (comp): Cannot look-up eln file as no source file was found...

Hi Iago,

iago@tutamail.com writes:

> Hi all,
>
> First of all, excuse me I am not sure where and how I should write on this.
>
> When I want to use pdf-tools in Debian, taking into account the
> bug https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=883598, to get
> it to work the first thing I do is
> M-x pdf-tools-install
>
> Now, in Debian Bookworm, with pdf-tools and emacs installed through
> apt (therefore elpa-pdf-tools 1.0.0-1 and emacs 1:28.2+1-15), when I
> apply the command above I get the next warning multiple times:
>
> Warning (comp): Cannot look-up eln file as no source file was found
> for /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/pdf-tools-1.0/pdf-tools.elc
> Disable showing Disable logging
>

> I have just found two similar bugs discussions:
> https://groups.google.com/g/linux.debian.bugs.dist/c/6CPBc6bw1OM
> https://groups.google.com/g/linux.debian.bugs.dist/c/VQzY5ZjwC_Q
>
> However, reading those it seems they are due to dh-elpa and/or
> elpa-dash (forgive me I do not fully understand the discussions),
> which I do not have installed.
> So, is there any solution for it? What should I do?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Best regards,
> Iago

It looks like that elpa-pdf-tools does depends on dh-elpa-helper and
emacsen-common on Bookworm which should take care of the byte
compiling[1].  I also installed elpa-pdf-tools and ran "M-x
pdf-tools-install" successfully, and "M-x pdf-tools-help" also works
fine.  The "Warning (comp)" is just a warning for native compilation
which is usually harmless.

It would be great if you can generate a bug report using "reportbug" or
"M-x debian-bug" which will include more info about the package, its
dependencies, and your system.  Also if you see any command that fails
run, it would be good to have a backtrace attached in the report.

[1] apt info of elpa-pdf-tools on Bookworm:
,----
`----

--
Xiyue Deng