Re: mh-e for emacs-snapshot and icon images directory

Peter S Galbraith <p.galbraith@globetrotter.net> wrote:

> (It seemed silly to add a "lisp" directory unless other packages start
> doing so as well, so I kept the old directory.)

    [wohler@olgas:554]$ ls /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnus
    aclocal.m4  config.status*  configure*  configure.in  lisp/

Romain Francoise <rfrancoise@debian.org> wrote:

> Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:
>
> > Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between /usr/share/icons
> > and /usr/share/pixmaps? I couldn't find anything in either the FHS or
> > Debian policy docs.
>
> /usr/share/pixmaps is the traditional location, /usr/share/icons is a
> new fd.o-mandated directory so some GNOME stuff uses it... see

Oh, so then shouldn't Peter be linking to /usr/share/icons instead? ;-)

> > Please see
>
> >   http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/etc/images/
>
> > for the current image structure in Emacs itself.
>
> I'm aware of it, I fixed make-dist after you moved the images there,
> remember? :-)

Heh, heh, that's right ;-).

> > In summary, etc/images/mh-e is inconsistent with CVS Emacs and with the
> > Gnus Debian package. The rationale for it is based upon a concern that
> > no longer exists with current Emacs policy.
>
> Perhaps you're right, I'm not sure if gnus installs its images there to
> follow the Emacs layout, or to avoid cluttering a shared directory.  My
> gut feeling is that installing loads of images from different Debian
> packages under /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/etc/images isn't very clean.
>
> You obviously feel very strongly about this issue, and I don't think
> it's vitally important anyway.  Do as you please.

Thanks. As Peter might suspect, I would accept any final decision on
Debian from you folks since you know best. I'm sorry if my language
wasn't clear to that point. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of
some very recent developments since they might affect your thought
process and point out what looked like inconsistencies to me.