Backup Management

Hi,

The backup management seems a bit outdated to me:
https://jenkins.debian.net/userContent/debian-edu-doc/debian-edu-doc-en/debian-edu-bullseye-manual.html#idm1268

Not only the docs, but also the tools. For example, in order to be able to login at the web interface: https://www/slbackup-php, you have to enable root login with password on the main-server, which is not recommended for security reasons. I would suggest dropping slbackup-php from DebianEdu. The docs can explain instead how to manage the backups from the command line, especially since the backup system is actually based on rdiff-backup.

It is also not clear how to store backups on a remote host. I managed somehow to find a way, by setting up a passwordless SSH login to the backup server (details here: http://dashohoxha.fs.al/docs/testing-debian-edu-with-lxd.html#_remote_backup). But it is not documented and it is not obvious at all.

I wonder what people (managers of DebianEdu) do to handle backups. Do you use any other tools, besides rdiff-backup and slbackup? I have also seen some old recommendations for using Backup PC: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/HowTo/BackupPC
However, BackupPC seems a bit outdated too. Has anyone tried BorgBackup (https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/quickstart.html) or something else?

Regards,
Dashamir