Re: Jessie installation broken - systemd migration and partman

Hi Petter,

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 09:00:35AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> Yesterday, I tried to install the Minimal profile using the
> ftp.skolelinux.no::cd-edu-testing-nolocal-netinst/debian-edu-amd64-i386-NETINST-1.iso
> boot image, and it failed.
>
> The first failure is with automatic partitioning, which do not work.  I
> did not figure out why, but managed to get around it by manually
> partitioning without LVM and asking the installer to ignore the missing
> swap partition.  I have not yet tried to check if there are bug reports
> about this, nor reported any bug myself.  I suspect the problem is in
> partman or partman-lvm.  Perhaps one of you have time to look at this?
>
> The next and more fatal failure is when installing our
> debian-edu-install package, which fail because apt want to remove
> sysvinit-core and install systemd instead.  This fail because the
> installer tool we use to install debian-edu-install (apt-install) is set
> up to refuse removal of already installed packages (using --no-remove).
> The cause of the failure is the current migration from sysvinit to
> systemd as the default boot system for linux based Debian systems.  The
> systemd package is pulled in via this dependency chain (from 'aptitude
> why'):
[...]

I'm afraid that the installation failing is just the beginning of
problems, or rather, much work to do. systemd replaces quite a few
services, interferes with acpid, consolekit, hal (if you still use
that), automount. Even if you got a working installation and press a
hotkey like poweroff, or close the lid of your notebook, you are up to
some surprises, not even talking about all of your init scripts not
working anymore.

There is a solution for the systemd dependency issue in Knoppix 7.4 that
(as usual) nobody from the Debian maintainer team will like, by adding a
sysvinit package that provides systemd-sysv, so you can, for now, keep
your sysvinit-based boot setup while the other packages, that now rely
on systemd-logins session management like network-manager,
libpam-systemd etc., and which would otherwise kill sysvinit-core, are
still working.  I know it's a bad hack and I should do a proper
migration some day, yet I still prefer my homebrewn startup system over
the last and current standard in Debian and try to keep it working,
still being upgradable.

If you are interested, please find the source here:
http://debian-knoppix.alioth.debian.org/packages/sysvinit/

Mainly the debian/control file is the dependency solution. You may have
to start systemd-logind in /etc/inittab to get back a working session
management, though.

Regards
-Klaus