Re: LAN and WLAN - one computername

El mar, 30-03-2010 a las 14:34 +0200, Martin Schulte escribió:
> Hello,
>
> our Laptops sometimes use LAN and sometimes WLAN, and each one has it's
> one MAC-Address. How is it possible using LWAT to add an Computer, which
> have two MAC-Addresses but only one hostname? --> if it's not possible,
> is there another way?
>
> Best regards, Martin

This is how I do it in the laptops at the schools:
1- use wicd for network setup (i.e.: install wicd and remove all network
interfaces from /etc/network/interfaces)
2- add a the script below with the
name /etc/wicd/scripts/preconnect/mac_wireless :

#!/bin/sh
MAC1=`/sbin/ifconfig eth0 | grep HWa | cut -c39-55`
ifconfig wlan0 down
ifconfig wlan0  hw ether $MAC1
ifconfig wlan0  up

So the laptop has the same mac when using wireless or eth0, and it works
like a charm adding the eth0 mac to lwat.

If you don't use wicd, you can add that script to some other place at
startup, maybe at /etc/rc.local or /etc/init.d/networking, but the wicd
hook is easier to maintain.

Regards.
José L.