Samba + 7

Dear folks,

I am gladly observing the progress towards the release of
Debian Edu Lenny.

Simultaneously, I have been following a conference about
acquiring new computers (some of them to be shipped with Windows)
Now, as Vista is out of question, and XP support to be abondoned,
7 seems to be the only option, here.

So, I wonder if we can keep supporting Redmond's non-free OS by means of
Samba (what will our release note state?). According to first
researches I did on the Web, this is the current state:

1. W7 won't connect to Samba out of the box, but can be tweaked to do so
(analogue to this howto for Vista:
http://www.builderau.com.au/blogs/codemonkeybusiness/viewblogpost.htm?p=339270746)

2. W7 requires at least Samba 3.3.4 while Lenny offers only
version 3.2.5 (of course there are backports - cf.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/75-63-windows-samba-issue)

So what chance is there for a continued support of recent versions of
Windows?

Thanks/Regards to Oslo (would have loved to be with you)!
Ralf