RE: ltspserver specs?

Nigel barker: Friday, March 13, 2009 2:40 AM
> Hi Oded
> I don't have any with amd64, since I had difficulties with
> missing packages. They are all debian-edu etch, same packages
> and usage pattern.

Hi again Nigel,
Could you list the missing packages?
It may be important information for server specification.
I believe (not sure) that performance could gain from using amd64,
64 arch is required for big RAM over 4GB.
Of course this is useless if you can't run the programs you need.

> In the IT lab I have two servers. The athlon64 had 4GB, but
> developed a fault on the mobo. Now it has only 2GB for 9 thin
> clients, plus it is a workstation. It has IDE hard disk and
> Gb LAN into a 100Mbps switch.It works really well. The other
> half of the room has a core 2 duo with 4GB, sata disk and
> Gbps switch. It serves 9 thin clients and is not a
> workstation. It is a piece of shit, locking up completely most days.
> This pattern is repeated in other parts of the school.

Hmmmmakes me wonder,
	If I get it right this is not strictly a performance issue, rather a non-performance, I think it could be any piece of hardware, kernel, kernel-module, or the interrelations between them, not necessarily processor issue.
If this is a branded 'piece of shit' would you care to mention the model name?
Maybe someone here would recommend a known to perform model.

I suppose you just want something that works and don't wish to fiddle with it, but could you try amd64 on one of these pieces where the missing programs have least impact?

Odd.