lenny-release-goal proposal: easy custom CDs/DVDs (Re: Wrapper script for easy CD creation using debian-cd

Hi,

Frans send the following mail to debian-boot@ and debian-cd@:

On Wednesday 12 December 2007 00:22, Frans Pop wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've been using a wrapper script around the debian-cd build.sh script for
> some time and an very happy with it, especially as I now have things set up
> so that I can very easily include both custom packages and custom udebs.
>
> The scripts and a README explaining things are available from:
> http://alioth.debian.org/~fjp/debian-cd/
>
> Note that the script requires the current debian-cd SVN checkout to work
> correctly.
>
> Cheers,
> FJP

Which reminded me of an idea I had: IMO we should provide means and
documentation for easy customisation of Debian Edu installation media, so
that institutions can create and distribute derived installers easily, for
example with a specific language preselected, with custom graphics (in the
installer and on the desktop), other desktop customisations (kiosk
preconfigurations, kde or gnome, etc) and what not.

I think that should be fairly easy to do.

The difficult part could be to develop a policy, how long the result can be
called "Customised Debian Edu". Is including nonfree software ok? Is
including not-supported-for-a-reason software (think webmin) ok? Is breaking
upgrades ok? What is ok and what not...

Anyway, according to http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/roadmap I'm sending this
mail to the list, so we can discuss it here, with the aim to decide if we
want it on the roadmap or not.

regards,
	Holger