Re: possible update exceptions for stable archive? (rules)

Hi

> On Sunday 02 September 2007 13:46, Steffen Joeris wrote:
> > + - stable does not get updated
>
> This is misleading / nonsense, because right after that, you describe how
> to update stable :)
Ok, let's delete it.

> > + - Write an email to debian-edu@l.d.o. including the old package
> > version, a +   full debdiff (so that everyone can look at the patch) and
> > ask for inclusion.
>
> and the new version :)
>
> > +   It is also needed to mention the old and the proposed new version in
> > the mail.
>
> Ah. Thats redudant :)
Yeah we should just use the last sentence to avoid confusion.

> > +   For the mail, make sure that you use a fixed subject. Something like
> > the following would do:
> > +   Stable update proposal: $package
>
> I'd suggest:
> "Use the following subject for the mail: 'Stable update proposal:
> $package'."
Sounds good.

> > + - The package will not be touched for 3 days.
>
> After uploading? After requesting?
>
> What does "touched" mean here?
It means after the request and not touch means it does not get accepted.
It basically gives more than one person a chance to look at it. Therefore, I
like to have the whole diff send to the ML, so that everyone can look at it.

> Also, I think this is too strong. For example for security updates we want
> to be faster. Or grave bugs. Maybe just adding "Usually" to that sentence
> is enough. (And changing/explaining "touched".)
This whole update does not affect security updates in any way. They still get
handled by the security team and go to the stable pool straight away :)

There should either be a rejected mail to debian-edu@l.d.o. or an accepted
mail with a short explanation of the fixes to debian-edu-announce@l.d.o.

> > This is IMHO useful as long as we are working on r1 and
> > becomes a bit +   less useful, when we work on something lenny based.
>
> IMO humble opinions dont belong into a policy. Also I disagree, we might
> want to release r2, too. (If only for debian-edu-doc updates.)
Good point, removing this sentence.

Cheers
Steffen