Re: should we ship iceweasel (firefox) on the first cd?

Dear List,

in most cases, Konqueror works fine. Iceweasle however, is not supported
by every web page (its browser tag that is).

Is Opera meant to be on the CD as well? As for browsers, we need
something like Mozilla composer/NVU anyway, so we could think about
trading Iceweasle for Mozilla suite.

> Unfortunately there are a lot of web pages not working to well with
> konqueror, and it's not very good at handling all kinds of plugins. A

Examples, please?

> lot of educational net based software depends on browsers with
> different plugins. IMHO iceweasel should be on cd1, along with most
> common plugins, and gimp should be replaced with digikam with
> plugins. Digikam is lighter than gimp, but suits most needs for image
> manipulation in schools. Gimp is somewhat heavy, and the common
> situation in schools is that you have groups with at least 5-10
> pupils at a time. 5-10 users using gimp on thin clients
> simultaneously is not a very good idea...

Didn't have any problems with this, so far (Java is worse). I love
Digikam, but it doesn't compare to GIMP. Here, krita (once it runs more
stable) from KDE Office is a more realistic alternative.

> Bjarne Nielsen

Regards
Ralf

P.S: Ooo and Gcompris are most space consuming. My idea was always, to
offer one CD for primary schools (no OOo), and one for secondary level
(Ooo, but no Gcompris).