Re: [Debian-NYC] [Fwd: DebConf10 pre-proposal: New York City]

* Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans@eds.org> [2008-08-11 15:31-0400]:

> The last Podcamp NYC was at Poly, about 250 signed up, with a peak of
> 160ish at once.  The total Podcamp paid Poly was about $3k.  Compare
> that to the previous year in a big hotel's conference center: $30k.
> Barcamp NYC was just there, it had 24/7 access to one 10m x 20m room
> with 9 projectors, and 9am-11pm access to the rest of the spaces.  I
> think the budget for Poly was $2k.  Poly just merged with NYU, and
> NYU is a money-making machine, so that might change.  Hopefully not.

Can you give an idea of how long these events lasted for? Debconf is
typically just shy of 2 weeks, with a smaller debcamp before-hand, and a
larger 1 week event as the main attraction.

> How many people come to DebConf normally?  I think we should try to
> organize local people to host guests so that people can come on the
> cheap.  I could host two people/couples, for example.

The easier to get to, the more that want to go. Scotland had I believe
400 people, this year there are less (no idea on numbers, but Mar Del
Plata is much harder to get to for people).

Micah