Re: System-critical package management

> Debian supports XB- tags in control files that are preserved after installation.

I am not familiar with these, where can I find out more about them?

> What is mission critical would be vary depending on the system .. it would be inappropriate for an upstream package to try to decide if it was mission critical or not.

The suggestion is that packages would be marked as system-critical by superuser or processes operating under superuser, for example via config file - not the packages themself. Therefore a desktop Debian distribution might automatically configure the display manager to be a system-critical package, but a server distribution might not.

- Peter Warrington