Re: Does use of dpkg-maintscript-helper require a pre-dependency?

Hi,

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> 	Given that dpkg-maintscript-helper is used in the preinst,
> 	using it unconditionally requires a pre-dependency to ensure
> 	that the required version of dpkg has been configured before.
>
> but that seems somewhat ambiguous to me now that a version of dpkg
> with that functionality is in squeeze.  Is the pre-dependency just to
> ensure the right version of dpkg has been unpacked, or does it have to
> have been configured?

Unpacking is enough. It's just a shell script, there's nothing more needed
to make it work.

> The reason I ask is to see whether one needs to go through the usual
> process of adding a pre-dependency (following policy §3.5) to use
> dpkg-maintscript-helper in wheezy.  (If not, backporters would still
> need a pre-dependency but the package in wheezy can be a little
> simpler.)

Yeah, I fully expect people to not add the pre-dependency when the given
dpkg-maintscript-helper function is supported in oldstable.

Until then I advise people to use the protected version (with the if test)
or to add the pre-dependency (but it's not really needed to discuss it on
-devel, introducing a requirement to upgrade dpkg early in the upgrade
process is not a big deal).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer