Re: I want to translate the help system of Synaptic

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 03:02:32PM +0200, Günter Thaler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I browsed the german Debian web site http://www.debian.org/doc/ddp and I
> want to translate the help text of Synaptic into German. I have
> installed Ubuntu 5.04.

Sorry but http://www.debian.org/doc/ddp explains mostly Debian specific
stuff. I contains documents describing how to create Debian package, how
to use it, ...
I'm sure you need to know parts of e.g. Debian Reference to be able to
translate and test synaptics translation so continue reading ...

> Unfortunately  don't know how I shoulkd begin with work. There is so
> much information and so litte information both ;-) on the Debian web
> site about translations.
>
> Can you help me?

Yes that's possible.

First you need the source code of synaptic.
You can obtain it through
$ apt-get source synaptic
or from http://packages.debian.org/synaptic.
Please use the newest version you find. Maybe you want to use the
upstream version or even better current CVS (see synaptics developer
docs).
In the following I assume you fetch the source from Sid using apt-get.

$ cd synaptic-0.55+cvs20050503/help
$ ls
$ ls
C  es  Makefile.am  Makefile.in

You see there is a Spanish translation. Copy C to de
$ cp -R C de
and start translating of the XML file. Maybe you have to touch the other
files as well, I'm not sure.

Now add "de" to Makefile.am in the help directory and you may want to
test it by creating a new package.

# apt-get build-dep synaptic
$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc  synaptic_0.55+cvs20050503-4.dsc

This should create a new *.deb package in ..
Install it:

# dpkg -i ../*.deb

and enjoy.

Jens