Re: Making translated doc accesible

Josip Rodin <joy@cibalia.gkvk.hr> writes:

> On Mon, May 10, 1999 at 03:21:54AM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> [snip]
> > As I said above, we should just gradually move documents over into a
> > new web dir area
> [snip]

> What I meant is that we could do this:
>
>   - do one big $(MAKE) in the CVS tree, and export everything to the web
>     pages. Pros: it is an one-liner. Cons: it wastes space and bandwidth
>     for inappropriate stuff (lets call them big-bad-six :)
>
>   - create a small script in which we could run the $(MAKE) just on those
>     five 'good' directories and drop out the big-bad-six. Pros: it does
>     exactly what we need now. Cons: someone has to write and maintain the
>     script :)

Alternative: in manuals.sgml/Makefile, add a new target and a
variable, PUBLISH_SUBDIRS, target name, 'publish', which only has the
names of the subdirs which we need intend to publish directly to the
master Debian web site.

Pros: doesn't need another shell script, no new logic neede;; all the
logic is in the top level Makfile already, it just needs a little
adaption.

Cons: none

> I still think that we should first fix what we can in our DDP CVS tree
> (i.e. actually prepare those from the five candidates that are still
> rough around the edges. And possibly try to work something out with the
> big-bad-six bunch).
>
> Although it can be done right now if you think it is urgently needed...

I don't see why we can't do both at the same time. I'm just arguing
that publishing directly to the web is a management issue, not a
technical one.  There is no reason not to do it starting today.  I
could do it myself -- but I want someone to shepard it, maintain it --
someone who has some attention to give to it, which I know that I
don't.

> I guess it could be run from webmaster's crontab.

I think it needs to be done manually, actually, on an "as needed"
basis.  We're going to have to be careful on how we distinguish
between "work in progress, not yet ready for publication" and "stable"
versions.  This is solve by the manual process.

> I think that's about it. It actually seems easy now.

It is easy.  Fundamentally, there are no technical issues -- they have
all be solved.