Re: Signature strength of .dsc

Judit Foglszinger <urbec@riseup.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
>> > Dmitri, could you re-run the numbers with the debian-maintainer keyring?
>>
>> That is correct. I have updated the results now.
>> The 2,455 no public key has now become 1,238
>
> Another is the DN keyring.
> Also I'd expect many keys to be found in older versions of the keyring package/keyring repository
> and on keyservers like keyserver.ubuntu.com

Removing old keys is usually a bad idea -- could these be moved to a
"archived" keyring instead?  I assume having them in the "live" keyring
is not possible if the presence of a key in that file is used to make
authorization decisions.

You want to be able to verify old signatures in 20+ years too, and then
you need to be able to find the corresponding public key.

Even finding a copy of my own old RSA1280 key 0xB565716F turned out to
be tricky, I had to search for it just a couple of days ago and I
couldn't find it on the keyservers I looked on.  The key was used during
2002-2014 to sign a lot of software releases (and emails).  Fortunately,
I had a habbit of sticking it into AUTHORS field of some packages so I
found it here:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libidn.git/tree/AUTHORS?id=cd51d7cd4e83f8b5240517b63ba2adef721542c9

/Simon