Re: Control header sent with done email didn't do what I expected, should it have?

Marvin Renich <mrvn@renich.org> writes:

> I've seen differing opinions about closing "wontfix" bugs, but as a
> user, I appreciate when they are left open.  Whether it is a simple
> wishlist feature request or a crash when the user abuses the software,
> if I go to file the same or similar bug at a later time, if the bug is
> closed I will not see it and file a duplicate.  If it is left open, I
> can see the maintainer has already thought about it and intentionally
> decided not to fix it, so I can save the trouble of refiling.  Also, I
> might gain some insight about the circumstances.

I think it's a trade-off.  There are some bugs that seem unlikely to ever
come up again or that aren't helpfully worded, and I'm more willing to
close those.

Also, in the abstract, I don't like using the BTS as a documentation
system, which is sort of what collecting wontfix amounts to.  If it's
something that I think is going to come up a lot, it feels better to put
it into the actual documentation (README.Debian, a bug script if it's
reported really often, etc.).  You're also expecting everyone filing a bug
to read through all the existing wontfix bugs (at least their titles),
which in some cases is fine but in some cases can become overwhelming.