Re: Default font: Transition from DejaVu to Noto

On 2023-09-13 21:29, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
Quoting Gunnar Hjalmarsson (2023-09-13 21:09:00)
There is a problem with fonts-noto-core, though, as several people
have mentioned already: For non-LCG scripts it provides one font
per script. And there are quite a few of those. So for a user, who
wants to actively and often select font in a font picker, the list
of font options gets horribly long.

Personally I see that as a shortcoming in the font pickers. They
ought to offer some "favorites" functionality, in the same manner
as it works with keyboard layouts. Unfortunately they don't, at
least as far as I know.

Perhaps it is then immature to switch to using fonts-noto by
default, for the above reason alone

Yeah, given the Debian culture with respect to font handling, the proposal may have been raised prematurely.

So we have a conflict of goals here. The good news is that a user
who speaks some latin language, and who thinks it's important to be
able to easily select font directly in various applications, can
do:

apt purge fonts-noto-core

Just as easily as those disliking a font can remove it, those
appreciating a font can install it.  Difference is if we want to
bloat all systems by default or not.

Yep. That's the crux of this discussion.

--
Gunnar