Re: Upgrade package from init script to Systemd, move config folder

On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 10:54:58AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2023 08:20:34 +0200, Simon Richter <sjr@debian.org>
> wrote:
> >On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 04:25:19PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> >> I am not sure whether it is doing non-systemd users a favor to keep a
> >> probably outdated, bitrotting and untested init script in the
> >> canonical place. My gut feeling is that it might be better to ship the
> >> old init script in /usr/share/doc/package/examples unless the package
> >> maintainer is reasonably sure that the init script will actually work.
> >
> >No, that is worse, because if an updated init script is shipped as an
> >example only, I will not even get a notification that I might want to
> >change my installed init script.
>
> You have a point here. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a
> standardized function in /lib/lsb/init-functions that emits a warning
> that the package maintainer has changed the mechanism to invoke the
> daemon and that the init script might need additional work, so that a
> lazy maintainer like me might just call that function to give the
> local admin a heads-up.

If systemd runs as init, I do not think such a warning is needed, since
trying to run /etc/init.d/foo will be transparently redirected to
an invocation of the (supposedly maintained) systemd service (unless,
of course, somebody explicitly performs the incantation to really,
really run the SysV init script, in which case I would assume they
know what they are doing, and also see the next point).

If sysv-init runs as init, then I'm not sure such a warning at each
invocation of the init script would actually be useful: first, it might be
missed, and second, the admin may (consciously or not) learn to ignore it.
I think a one-time notification via a (Debian) NEWS entry would be
a better choice.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev  roam@ringlet.net roam@debian.org pp@storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13