Re: Build libzstd using cmake; add a non-cmake build profile?

On Mon, Dec 26, 2022 at 02:00:31PM +0100, Andrea Pappacoda wrote:
> Il giorno lun 26 dic 2022 alle 08:37:51 +02:00:00, Peter Pentchev
> <roam@ringlet.net> ha scritto:
> > In #1020403 there is a request to install the CMake build glue for
> > the zstd library in its -dev package. I think that this is a good
> > idea, and I have a pretty much ready-for-uploading set of changes
> > that do that. For the purposes of this discussion I have uploaded
> > the proposed "switch to CMake and install the CMake build glue"
> > commits to my own fork of the libzstd repository
>
> Hi Peter. Apart from your bootstrapping concerns, please keep in mind that
> upstream's CMake build script is not official; citing the README:
>
> > make is the officially maintained build system of this project. All other
> build systems are "compatible" and 3rd-party maintained, they may feature
> small differences in advanced options. When your system allows it, prefer
> using make to build zstd and libzstd.

Yes, I am aware of this, and I do take additional care to make sure that
things work as expected. Still, thanks for mentioning this, and see below...

> Using CMake instead of make has caused some interesting issues in the past.
> The first that comes to my mind happened in Arch Linux, and got featured on
> the Phoronix news site:
> <https://www.phoronix.com/news/Arch-Linux-Bizarre-Zstd>

Right... thanks for reminding me of that! I had indeed noticed a couple of days
ago that the CMake build differed in a couple of minor ways from the Makefile one
and I had made a mental note to fix that... and then I forgot. There were two
main differences: legacy support and setting the C standard. The former is now
handled via a CMake config option passed via `dh_auto_configure`, and the latter is
disabled with a patch taken from the upstream development branch, although in
my (limited) testing there was no effect on the compression speed, at least with
the GCC version in Debian unstable as of now.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev  roam@ringlet.net roam@debian.org pp@storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13