Re: Proposed `cargo-upstream` dpkg-buildpackage etc. build profile

Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> writes:
> Quoting Russ Allbery (2022-12-15 17:41:15)

>> This is why I don't agree with Jonas: yes, there *are* other ways to
>> achieve the same goal, but they're more complicated and harder to
>> explain.  The user experience of this build profile looks a lot simpler
>> and cleaner.

> I don't have a firm opinion here, so wonder what you disagree with,
> Russ.

> For the record, prior to this thread Ian reached out to me privately
> where we discussed my work on forking dh-cargo to behave more
> "Debian-ish" than what is developed by the Rust team.

> Perhaps this is a language thing: When I "question" Ians proposed
> approach, I do not imply that I reject it or am against it, only that I
> want to better understand it.

Oh, I'm sorry, this is probably just a sequence of misunderstandings.  I
think I misunderstood your message as being somewhat opposed, and then I
think you read my "disagree" as stronger than I meant it.  All I was
trying to say is that I think (based on my very sketchy understanding of
build profiles) that this would have a lower bar of entry for building
non-Debian packages as a stepping stone to proper Debian packages than
pre-downloading the dependencies.