Re: libpaper and gnulib

Hi,

On  So 13 Nov 2022 15:01:50 CET, Reuben Thomas wrote:

I am a bit torn here: with my DM hat on, stripping out gnulib sources where
possible and using Debian's gnulib package seems the right thing to do.
With my upstream hat on it leads potentially to bug reports that don't
correspond to an upstream release; and further few Debian packages that use
gnulib actually seem to use this method (there are 26 build-rdeps of
gnulib).

You could use the global File-Excluded: header in debian/copyright. This could then strip off the gnulib files from your libpaper code.

And with File-Excluded: make sure you use the the --repack option for uscan when retrieving the orig tarball from the upstream source location.

About bug reports: people should report to Debian's bug tracker first anyway and then let the maintainer decide whether to forward to upstream or not.

I using this orig tarball repacking for several of my packages (also for ripping out non-Linux code that I don't want to attribute in debian/copyright) and it is working nicely.

If you are interested, I can dig out some example packages that show this technique.

Mike

--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
c\o Technik- und Ökologiezentrum Eckernförde

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31