Re: Automatic trimming of changelogs in binary packages

On Tue, Sep 06, 2022 at 12:11:38PM +0300, Hakan Bayındır wrote:
> While all looks good and feels sound from many aspects, I have some
> reservations against treating changelogs as metadata.
>
> Current changelogs as files have a well known place, can be used by anything
> and everything, and they are local.
Assuming you are talking about making changelogs available at a dpkg
command, as in the RPM world, it's actually making the way to get a
package changelog more well-known, not less.

> Stuffing them behind a command, possibly making them online only in the
> process will arguably make system troubleshooting and administration harder,
> esp. if the system has connectivity issues.
>
> If something critical breaks, I can boot to recovery and look at the logs
> and changelogs of recently updated packages. Having recent-ish changelogs on
> the disk arguably accelerates the fixing process.
I don't think removing recent-ish changelogs from the disk is proposed
here.

--
WBR, wRAR