Re: Firmware - what are we going to do about it?

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 10:57:47AM +0300, Hakan Bayındır wrote:
> > > As everybody knows, Debian is also releasing the said firmware as compressed
> > > archives and these are visible in the download page [0], however usage and
> > > documentation is neither clearly documented, nor easy for the beginners or
> > > casual users.
> > (it's documented at https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch06s04
> > for a separate drive, there may be some documentation about putting the
> > files to the installation drive but at that point the user should just
> > burn the firmware ISO)
>
> I know it's documented, but it's buried deep down.
It's linked in the same yellow block on the page you linked as the archive
itself.
I mean, I agree it's not good but most of places on debian.org that are
related to downloading are not good. At least
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
is now just two clicks away from the main page.

> In my ideal world (for newcomers), the link should produce the file
> directly, not the directory, or they get the tool, insert a USB drive, and
> viola.
They should just get the firmware ISO and burn it instead of fiddling with
all of that.

--
WBR, wRAR