Re: merged /usr vs. symlink farms

On 2021-08-26 Timo Röhling <roehling@debian.org> wrote:
[...]
> However, Guillem also seems to think that dpkg can manage file
> symlinks in a real directory better than an directory symlinks in /,
> which is why he proposed symlink farms in the first place.

Hello,

Afaiui, the symlink farm would just work from dpkg's point of view, even
with dpkg from oldoldoldoldstable. It can handle symlinks to files just
fine.

usrmerge is conceptually a lot harder because dpkg needs to get to handle
the fact that /bin/foo and /usr/bin/foo conflict.

cu Andreas
so grateful to you.'