Re: merged /usr vs. symlink farms

Hi,

On 25.08.21 18:57, Russ Allbery wrote:

The problem here is also that if there are two packages like that, on an
usrmerge system, we would not know this is happening.

I agree, of course, but I don't see a way in which Policy can help with
that problem unless this packaging decision was intentional and the person
who made that decision would have chosen otherwise if Policy had said to
not do it.

I'd expand the definition of Conflicts/Replaces though: packages that use names that conflict because of usrmerge would need to declare it, because as soon as we teach dpkg to recognize these conflicts, the packages would fail to install on stable.

This seems more like an appropriate check for an archive-wide QA tool
looking for cross-package problems.

We have a tool that looks for missing Conflicts/Replaces, and that tool needs to be extended as well.

   Simon