Re: Changed Github download URLs are affecting lots of existing watch files

Phil Morrell <debian@emorrp1.name> writes:

> Sounds like you're asking for a new github redirector on qa.debian.org
> as there is for sf.net, which could use the official api for stability.

This got me thinking: the version checking mechanism of d/watch files is
useless if the outside world changes, i.e. if upstream's URLs
change. Why do we then ship this logic with the packages at all, when
packages are meant to be useful for an extended amount of time? Would it
not be better to decouple the version-checking aspect of d/watch
entirely from the actual package tarball?

Uscan could then unconditionally pull version information from something
à la det the sf.net and PyPI redirectors. The data in that system is
then kept updated when upstream changes.

 -- Gard